Lares Trek & Machu Picchu
Join us on a memorable trek through breathtaking sceneries with snow-capped glaciers in view, passing traditional Quechua communities with their inhabitants clad in the typical regional dress of the highlands of Ollantaytambo. Delve deeply into the magic of the Andes in the Lares Valley, exploring fairy-tale like endemic forests of Polylepis trees. This trek is very beautiful, but also challenging and we recommend that you acclimatize a few days before your departure. Min. 2 people. Difficulty: challenging. 4 days/ 3 nights, from USD 1,330.-
We will pick you up very early from your hotel in Cusco and drive to the town of Calca in the Sacred Valley. A brief stop at the market will be your last opportunity to stock up on last minute items for your trek. A spectacular drive leads us to Lares, crossing the Amparaes pass at 4470m. Our final destination today is the hot baths of Lares, where we can enjoy a relaxing dip before we set off on our hike. From here we pass through hand-tilled fields and crops of quinoa and potato, amongst quaint stone houses. After a gradual few hours’ climb, we will have our lunch stop, before continuing on to the community of Cuncani, our campsite for the evening.
On a clear day, you will wake up to wonderful views of Colque Cruz, a majestic glacier and important water source for the local community. A demanding ascend following an icy stream and getting forever steeper and rockier will take us towards the pass. At the top, we will be rewarded by breathtaking views of the highlands of Anta. Finally, we begin our steep but beautiful descent, crossing a small forest of ‘Polylepis’, an endemic and endangered tree of the high Andes. Tonight’s campsite is a tranquil paradise, surrounded by trees and crossed by a small river. Hopefully, we will be able to enjoy a campfire tonight.
After breakfast, we will say Good-bye to our porters, cooks and field staff. The hike becomes easier down to the trout farm and the climate will become gradually warmer as we descend into a different vegetation zone where hummingbirds become more abundant. When we reach our private vehicle we will be transferred to Ollantaytambo station to board the train to Aguas Calientes. This is one of the most fascinating train journeys of the world as you will experience the magical transition from a highland queshwa valley into the cloud forest. We will disembark the train at Aguas Calientes. Hotel staff will be waiting to help us with our luggage and escort us to the hotel. Tonight we will enjoy a dinner at one of the best restaurants in town.
We have a very early start, taking the bus leading up to the sanctuary of Machu Picchu (2,400m / 7,874ft), where you will be given a guided tour of the ‘Lost City of the Incas’ (around 2 hours). The rest of the morning you may explore the site on your own or hike to the famous Inca bridge or the Intipunku sun gate. If you wish to be challenged and do not suffer from vertigo, you may ascend the Huayna Picchu mountain (this has to be pre-booked and has an additional cost). Later we will take the bus down to Aguas Calientes for lunch and then board the train to return to Ollantaytambo where our private transport will be waiting to take us back to the city of Cusco.
- Briefing one day before the trek.
- Collection from your hotel on the morning of the trek departure.
- 3 nutritious meals per day (vegetarian options available).
- Drinking water along the trek.
- Bilingual guide (Assistant Guide for groups over 6 passengers).
- Chef (assistant chef for larger groups).
- Quadruple tents to be used by two people, allowing more comfort and more space to store backpacks.
- Mules (for equipment and personal items) and muleteers.
- Inflatable mattresses.
- Sleeping liner and pillow.
- Saddled horse in case of emergencies or if you are making very little progress (this horse is with the group at all times).
- First aid kit and oxygen bottle.
- Kitchen tent and dining tent with camp tables and chairs.
- Toilet Tent.
- Duffel bags (up to 7Kg/15lbs per person). These are provided by your guide at your briefing.
- Train to Aguascalientes (roundtrip)
- 1 night in 3-star hotel in Aguascalientes
- Dinner, breakfast & lunch in Aguascalientes
- Bus journey to Machu Picchu (roundtrip)
- Entrance fees for Machu Picchu
- Transfer from Ollantaytambo to Cusco
Services not included
- Breakfast on the first morning.
- Sleeping bag. If you don’t want to bring your own, you can hire this from us.
- Tips for guides and field staff.
Prices in USD per person
2 people USD 1,785.-
3 people USD 1,515.-
4 people USD 1,330.-Enjoying the Lars Trek - Andean SpiritLares Trek & Machu Picchu - Andean Spirit DestinationsLares Trek